Frequently asked questions
What is the secret to composting?
Aeration along with water are essential in compost piles:
- Controls the pile temperature, destroying pathogens, parasites and weed seeds;
- Significantly increases the rate of composting;
- Mitigates problems with offensive odors, flies and rodents;
- Degrades vaccines, antibiotics, deworming products and pesticides;
- Converts a raw waste into a humus-rich soil amendment for use in pastures;
- Produces superior quality compost with strong market value;
- Is ideal for pre-composting feedstocks for vermi-composting;
-Produces a compost rich in aerobic microbes, ideal for compost tea.
What is Compost?
Composting is the transformation of raw organic materials into biologically-stable, humus-rich substances suitable for growing plants, free of viable human and plant pathogens and plant seeds, which do not attract insects or vectors.
What can be composted?
Every organic product can be composted:
- Landscaping debris (grass clippings, leaves, chipped tree limbs, prunings, etc.);
- Industrial Food Waste (fruit pumace, vegetable waste, fish by-products);
- Pre- and Post Consumer Food Waste (from grocery stores, restaurants, dining halls, etc.);
- Shredded Paper, Cardboard and some tableware;
What cannot be composted?
- Woody materials take a considerable amount of time to decompe